Tilos Island travel to Tilos guide of Tilos visit Tilos holiday in Tilos vacation in Tilos map of Tilos trip to Tilos arrange a trip to Tilos  go to Tilos discover Tilos journey of Tilos stay in Tilos trek Tilos Tilos voyage Tilos travelogue Tilos index info on Tilos Tilos information photos of Tilos pictures of Tilos Tilos pics
  More Islands
    More Cities
See Map
Island of Tilos
Tilos is an island inhabited from very ancient times, as documented by the findings of the Charkadio cave (Mesolithic era). It was connected with the Minoans, rulers of the sea, as well as with the Myceneans who settled in the island around 1600 BC. Then the islanders together with the citizens of Lindos founded the colony of Ghela in Sicily.
The rise of the island continued in the classical period during which it cut its own currency and became renowned for its fine-woven tissues. In subsequent years, its history was connected to that of Rhodes. In the Byzantine era, together with Nissyros, it belonged to the theme of Samos.
  As with the other islands of the Dodecanese, it was occupied by the Knights of Saint John, who built three fortresses in the island. Then an intense activity was developed in the field of church frescos.
After repeated raids, the Turks succeeded in occupying Tilos in 1522. From 1912 onwards Tilos was under Italian occupation until 1943.
The island was finally united to Greece in 1948.

Megalo Chorio :
It extends at the foot of the hill where the fortress is built, below the ruins of the old village, abandoned little by little at the beginning of the 19th century when the danger of the pirates diminished and the dwellers took the liberty to descend downhill. The capital town of the island preserves numerous elements of the traditional architecture.
Its stone-houses are densely built around the church of Taxiarchis. Its name (literally meaning big village) is first mentioned in Turkish documents of 1620 and is probably due to the big plain extending as far as the bay of Eristos, the ancient harbor. Megalo Chorio has 160 inhabitants. It is situated 7 km to the NW of the port, Livadia.

Livadia :
In 1930, the people of Mikro Chorio settled in the port of the island. The houses are built in the inlet of a big bay and extend over a small but fertile valley. You can notice the building that houses both the police and the port authorities. If you follow the coastal road you get to the medieval port of the island, the harbor of Aghios Stefanos, with the lighthouse. A little further, at a distance of 2.5 km, you find the rural settlement Ghera and a spring known as: "tou Despoti to nero". 110 people live in Livadia situated 7 km to the SE of Megalo Chorio, the capital town.
The picturesque fishermen' settlement of Aghios Andonios is 2 km to the NW. Its port is a haven for fishing and leisure boats. The beach is dominated by the mill and the little church of Aghios Andonios.

Mikro Chorio is 3km to the NW. It was completely abandoned by its inhabitants in 1960 as they chose to settle in Livadia. Mikro Chorio was inhabited from the epoch of the Knights of Saint John (15th century). The ruins of a small fortress-observatory are preserved as well as the ruins of its stone-houses that were once built in full harmony with the landscape around.

Ghera is a settlement of farmers, 2.5 km away from Aghios Stefanos. The stone-houses are organized into a well ordered complex, near a spring where in the past one could find crabs.


In the NW the islet of Ghaidaros and in the SE the islet of Antitilos.

All maps, photos and text are property of the Tourism Organization of Dodecanese
greece-2004.com - All Rights Reserved by Global Business Web Design
Rent a Car
Youth Hostels
Food & Beverage
Trad. Restaurants
Foreign Cuisine
Fast Food
Real Estate
Transportation Co.
Jewelry Stores
Local Products
Live Music
Internet Cafes