|Kassos has five villages.
Fry is the island's capital and port. It lies in the centre
of the villages around Boukas Bay. This bay has the shape of an
eyebrow and the village takes its name from the relevant Greek
word (Frydi). It was established in 1840, primarily by residents
from Aghia Marina. Most houses have two stories and are in the
traditional architectural style.
There are quite a few stone mansions, real works of arts, such
as the Minakoulis Mansion which houses the health centre, the
traditional guesthouse now housing the school, the Koutlakis Mansion
and other so-called 'captain's houses'.
In front of the Town Hall in the small square is a monument by
Anatolis Lazardis. Fry has 270 residents.
Aghia Marina was once chief village of Kassos and is built on
a hill. It covers an extensive area. It lies 1 km from
The northern part facing the sea is called Akri, the southern
part Kasteli and to the west in the area known as Dikefalos there
are windmills. Aghia Marina has many mansions and captains' houses
such as that of Hadji Mavris next to the Church of Aghia Marina,
with its triangular door lintels.
These houses are well taken care off with balconies and courtyards
full of flowers. Aghia Marina is the largest village on the island
with 500 residents.
Arvanitohori lies 2.5 km from Fry. It is built at the
edge of a fertile valley. There are many mansions some restored
and others half in ruins. Among the houses are picturesque domed
chapels. It has 240 residents.
Emborios is the island's old port and a resort with
few residents now. During antiquity it flourished. Today it
is a harbour for fishing caiques calling from nearby islands.
It lies 500m east of Fry.
Panaghia is a village inhabited during summer above
Emborios with few residents. The balconies of the houses are
decorated with ornate concrete railings typical of the Dodecanese,
many in the form of a rose. Emborios lies 1 km southeast of
Poli was the ancient capital of the island with Emborios
as its port. Poli is built on a hill at an altitude of 220 m
with a view of Fry, Aghia Marina and Panaghia. In 1912 the village
was destroyed in an earthquake and rebuilt. The residents, almost
all farmers and livestock breeders, divide up their properties
with characteristic stone walls. The area is rocky. Poli has
70 residents. It lies 2 km southeast of Fry.